This was originally intended to be a stir-fry, but with no noodles available, rice was pressed into service instead. It all came together well enough for a first attempt, but there is scope for refinement.
- Fish fillets
- Mixed vegetables, including beans, broccoli, capsicum and carrot
- Ketjap Manis and/or Soy Sauce
- Tomato paste
- Worcestershire sauce
- Chicken stock
- Lemon Pepper seasoning
- Ground black pepper
- Begin by putting the rice on to boil, mixing-in the chicken stock for flavour
- Grill the fish on a low to medium heat, seasoned with the lemon pepper and ground pepper
- Cut-up the fish into chunks
- Begin frying the vegetables, and combine the sauces
- Add the fish chunks to the frying vegetables
- Drain the rice and add it straight into the mix
- Add the sauces, and give the whole thing a final turn over the heat, adding more sauce if necessary to keep the mix from drying-out
The serving depicted in the photo is garnished with more ground pepper.
Beginning with the rice is helpful because it takes about ten minutes to cook once it’s on the boil. And because I was originally intending to cook a stir-fry, I was working from the rationale of bringing each piece to completion at more or less the same time and combining everything from there.